<$Susan Goodwill$>

Monday, November 20, 2006

NaNo #18: Make Room for the Magic


Last night I hit 40,000 words. I pretty much have a beginning middle, and although somewhat sketchy--okay, so incredibly sketchy, end. Things, odd things, I didn't have a clue why I'd written them at the time, are starting to fit in truly wonderful places. And when I flesh things out I will have around 55,000 words which is right where I belong. Happy! Happy! And the sun is shining in Michigan.
Brian and I were talking about how the universe sometimes leads us to the strange bit of information that we need to know in order to unlock our book. I also, am often amazed that a piece of writing that doesn't seem quite necessary when I write it, a scene, a character quirk, an object, becomes a crucial fulcrom on which my story finally turns.
On one of my notebooks I have a rabbit coming out of a top hat. It represents the magic we experience when we write. Today, here's to the magic.

From Walking on Alligators: A Book of Meditations for Writers by Susan Shaughnessy:

Ideas sometimes come to us without visible anchors. The unconscious can be several days, weeks, or months ahead of your conscious intent. A hunch compels you to cut out a newspaper story. It sits on the edge of your desk for weeks, annoying you, unclassifiable and thus unfileable. Yet you have the haunting sense that it's important.

I'll trust the odd, unplaceable things that catch my inner attention. I will collect them. I will wait to find out their use.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home