<$Susan Goodwill$>

Monday, July 10, 2006

Staying Organized When I Write


Okay, so I admit it. I have a hard time staying organized and keeping track of details and changes when I write.
And one little change can cause big problems.
I fear what one of my writer friends-- the fabulously talented and soon to be famous Doreen O'Brien-- calls the Domino Effect. You change one leetle thing in a novel and next thing you know-- everything is affected. Like when you read through your draft and one character's name changes like four times? Or when they're riding motorcycles in one scene and ice fishing in the next?? One change and the next thing you know you need to make thousands.
Staying organized? People use many methods-- I use a bunch of different things myself-- outlining, writing software, timelines, collages, electronic comments in word, a book journal where I write thoughts about the work in progress, scene cards...I guess the bottom line is to keep trying things until you find what works for you. Different methods seem to work at different times for me.
And sometimes I have to show up and just write until I feel organized again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home