<$Susan Goodwill$>

Monday, March 20, 2006

Killer Lipstick??? Phth!!!!

Happy first day of Spring!

In the ignorance is bliss department, be forewarned, today's post tells you things that I myself would rather not know. But *sigh,* now I do.
So, I'm gonna tell you.
Maybe you know it already, I tend to live in a cave and learn these things late. If you know this, feel free to skip and play a game of online Bingo.

It's not your safe June Cleaver world anymore, Little Ms. Beaver.
Like it ever was.

There's this to know about lipstick (and makeup in general).
Don't mess with my lipstick, you say!!
I NEED my lipstick.
Me too.
Argh. Again.
You know that Bad Stuff can be put in makeup and hair products, right? If not, read on.
Deep breath, here we go:
The European Union has banned a major ingredient found in many US-made cosmetics: phthalates. Personally, I would never trust an ingredient that starts with "phth." It obviously has something funny going on. Go to the links below for information more eye-opening than extra plumping mascara. I clipped a bit for you here.
"'After three decades of extensive studies [on] carcinogens and reproductive toxins, the EU banned two phthalates...'It is outrageous that American women aren't given the same protections that European women are. How can a whole continent of women be protected, yet Americans ignore this?'" ...
Some good news though:
" L'Oreal and Revlon said in letters to the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics that they are in conformity with the new law. "

"... the FDA, by law, can do little. In the agency's own words, 'a cosmetic manufacturer may use almost any raw material as a cosmetic ingredient and market the product without an approval from FDA.'"

That is scary, although lately I have realized the FDA is not always My Friend.

http://valleyadvocate.com/gbase/News/content?oid=oid:105698
This gives more on the battle to make our lipstick as safe as a French woman's.

The phthalate ingredient to look for and avoid is on labels as DEP, DBP, or DMP.
Here's a good article giving more details for the phthalate story and suggesting products that do not contain them :
http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/newsletter237.asp

Ouch.
That hurt.
Sodium lauryl sulfate and propylene glycol are not too great either, but it's too depressing to give up my Coconut Lime Verbena body cream. And just about everything else. Between them, these ingredient are in everything from most baby wipes to toothpaste. Some brands don't have them. Sensodyne toothpaste, for instance. If you want the gory details, here's the link.
http://www.care2.com/c2c/share/detail/34879
Now this isn't news to many. And this info has been around on phthalates for a year or more, but it was news to me. I'm still squinty- eyed from coming out of the cave, I guess.

Sorry if I either told you junk you new already or ruined your day at the salon.

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled and much more cheery programming.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phth! Well, pooh. I just started wearing makeup to improve my Mab image. I like my poppy lipstick... but then it's a poppy colored lipstick. With all these Phthed (A sound similar to something Bill the Cat might create if he were actually wearing lipstick?) kind of things, maybe I should wish I was wearing poppy flavored if not poppy colored lipstick. This is depressing. But oh well, it matches my boa (no kidding; one of the plusses!).

Tuesday, March 21, 2006  
Blogger Susan Goodwill said...

Yeah, I know. Phth!
It's more fun to think everything is safe. Still, I prefer to choose my toxins, rather than have them smuggled in on my lipstick.
Bombay Sapphire Martini, anyone?

Tuesday, March 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home