<$Susan Goodwill$>

Sunday, February 24, 2008

A Disappearing Destination


I'll be the first to admit, it's not the vacation for everyone.
But I like it. I really do.
I like cottages.
And I mean real cottages--the kind built somewhere between 1935 and 1950, where you make your own bed each day and have to sweep and wipe down the counters and strip the beds when you check out.
Maybe one or two bedrooms are packed in the little building, with a little kitchenette and a more shabby than shabby chic living room and a tiny vintage bath.
Outside is usually a beach of some sort, picnic tables, barbecues and maybe a fire pit for late night bonfires under the stars.
This picture is of a cottage where I recently spent a week. It's on beautiful Longboat Key in Florida--right smack-dab on the beach.
A wonderful place that alas, is about to be sold. The new owner swears they 'won't change a thing." I hope that's true, but did I mention, right smack-dab on the beach? The writing is on the wall.
Every year more cottages disappear. Their old, freestanding buildings are expensive to maintain, and they don't demand the dollars of a highrise on the same beach front property.
They are often replaced with slick, resort style chain hotels or condos that could be anywhere in the world. And our lives becomes a little more homogeonized, a little less rich. Another thing we lose in the name of progress and convenience.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! I want to go there! That's just my type of place too. Hopefully they wont sell it, because that sort of place has far more charm than any other. I hate hotels.

I'm so glad you got to go to a place like that.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008  
Blogger Susan Goodwill said...

It really is a charming and magical place. I wish I could go there right now. We are expecting another five to seven inches of snow overnight.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm editing a dissertation by a guy in Fairbanks, Alaska. He said it was 36 degrees, and implied that people were out in their shirt sleeves in celebration.

I’m finishing up some work, and if all goes well, will be starting the draft of the 2nd Mia James.

Thursday, March 06, 2008  
Blogger Lolo said...

I actually think I MAY have gone to that exact cottage Susan!! What's its name? Had a friend getting married on Longboat (as did I, coincidentally) and spent a week in a place that looked just like that).

Also, can't believe you were just down the road a piece and we didn't get to visit!

Wednesday, August 13, 2008  
Blogger Susan Goodwill said...

Those cottages are called Rolling Waves. I'll be there again next year although probably at my sister's not the cottages. I hope our paths can cross!

Friday, August 15, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home