<$Susan Goodwill$>

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Mouse or A Muse (a.k.a. I Am Crazy Now)

So, it has been sub-arctic up here in Michigan.

That having been said, things are coming out of the woodwork. Quite literally. The c-c-c-old has driven mice into the crawl space under my livingroom. And other places, I fear. But blocking the crawlspace is a problem for when the snow melts.
On with my story....

A week ago Saturday night, the mice had been driving the dogs nuts making noises in the baseboard area. ClaraBelle and Ernie were obsessed with one particular corner, and as soon as I opened the bedroom door the next morning, ClaraBelle made a beeline for said corner.
I guess I'm a little crazy myself, because I was about to pick up the Tupperware pitcher that holds thistle seed for my bird feeder, which (ahh, the plot thickens) happened to be in that very same corner. I noticed the lid was slightly open. I looked inside, and I'm proud to say this, I didn't even scream when the mouse inside looked back.

So, with me looking horrified and the mouse looking horrified, I think we both were thinking the same thing:
Uh-oh, what do I do now?

But the ball was in my court, or should I say the mouse was.
I narrowed it down to three options.

1. Kill it.....nope. I apologize to boneless skinless chicken breasts in the grocery store aisle. No way.

2. Let it outside far from the house..... the windchill was 15 below. This would turn into option 1 pretty quickly.

3. Let it outside near the house....the equivalent of letting it into the living room. I'm crazy, not stupid. No way.

So, I chose option 4. I headed for WalMart and came back armed with a terrarium, water bottle, mouse food and bedding.

I've named her Agnes, and she lives in my office now. She is gray and white (must be the great-great granddaughter of someone's pet.) She is partial to blueberries and infinitesimal slices of apple.

I like to think she is an inspiration. A muse of a mouse to nudge me toward my writing goals.
Yeah, yeah. I know. I told you I was crazy.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a stuffed Hedgehog named Jayne looking on to encourage me.

But I'll admit that I had to let go a few ideas and decisions that did not work. I've put the map of my world back up on the wall. I've re-arranged my office back to a happy space.

And I've decided to re-write my second novel, and am bombarded with other ideas. Including new ones that need to percolate.

But...I am beginning to think that it is all cyclical. We have days it flows and days it doesn't. But also: Woo Hoo! I can't wait for the next book!

Monday, February 02, 2009  
Blogger Susan Goodwill said...

I think you are right.
Sometimes I think there is an ebb and flow. Good luck with the rewrite of your second book!

Monday, February 02, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, just to let you know: I told Kathryn you're writing again, and she's thrilled. She's looking forward to your next book also!

Wednesday, February 04, 2009  
Blogger Shel said...

Ok Susan, I finally picked up Little Shop off my tbr pile this morning and finished it during my train ride - where people looked at me funny because I was laughing out loud. When is the next book coming out? Please?!

Monday, February 09, 2009  
Blogger Feeding the Grey Cells said...

From one animal lover to another, it does my heart good to know there was more than one option for you (and the mouse).

feedingthegreycells.blogspot.com

Tuesday, April 28, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home